Friday, May 22, 2009

Does your child hate brushing their teeth?

Are you pulling teeth with them everyday? Well, that's me. My daughter hates brushing her teeth and she would rather sleep for months, without ever brushing. Most of the time, I have to take her to the bathroom and convince her that brushing is for princesses. Sometimes that works, while other times, she will run the other way. There are some days, I admit, she will not brush her teeth at all. I could be bribing her with chocolate cake, candy, and ice cream, and she'll turn the other way, and shake her head no.

Every time she misses brushing her teeth, I feel like I'm a bad parent. I dread the day I have to go to her dental appointment, only to find out that her entire mouth is filled with cavities. I start to think of scenarios and drive myself crazy. This is all because she doesnt want to brush her teeth.

One day, we were back in the bathroom, and I had to put on my sales talk with her. I told her all the benefits of brushing her teeth, including a reward of a Spongebob toy. She hesitently looked up at me because she could never say no to Spongebob. She opened her mouth and I proceeded to brush her teeth, with some minty toothpaste. She said, "yuck!" She immediately grabbed my hand and pulled the brush out of her mouth. Of course, I was super-frusterated. I looked at her and asked her why she hated brushing her teeth. Her reply was simple, "it taste yucky." And then, I had an "A-HA" moment. I realized she didn't like the toothpaste on the toothbrush. It tasted pasty, artificial, and something she would never eat in a million years. Like anything else, I then went on a mission to find a kid-friendly toothpaste. Something that my daughter would love and be safe.

While on the hunt for the perfect toothpaste, I discovered Tanner's Tasty Paste. A toothpaste that was developed by a doctor, for children. After working with children on a daily basis, the doctor learned what flavors responded best to children, when it came to toothpastes. With that in mind, came about the Tanner's Tasty Paste. A paste that was developed for children and babies. The toothpaste does not contain saccharin, artificial colors, flavors, and most importantly, sodium lauryl sulfate (suspected in causing sores). Making the paste, a very safe one, as well. It comes in Banilla Bling, Cha Cha Chocolate, Blingside, and Baby Bling. All my daughter's favorite ice cream flavors.

I was so excited to start using it, that I literally ripped opened the box, when I got it. I told my daughter that she would get to brush her teeth with chocolate. She gave me a weird look at first, because I had never offered chocolate and toothpaste together, in one sentence. Instead of sticking a toothbrush in her mouth immediately, I squirted a little paste onto my finger and had her taste it. She looked at me and said, "more." I was ecstatic. Ever since that day, we have not looked back. I am proud to say, she is back on track, and well on her way to great dental hygiene. The only problem now is that she wants to brush her teeth, all the time. For more information, go to http://www.tannerstastypaste.com/, to make your child's brushing experience, one that is enjoyable, tasty, and safe.

5 comments:

  1. When I was a child, I'm was too lazy to brush my teeth, maybe because I hate the taste of the toothpaste. Good thing is that today, there's flavored toothpaste that most children will really love. I learned to practice brushing my teeth in Jackson (TN), dentist told a story about teeth. Since I heard many stories about teeth, I learned to love brushing my teeth then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how your daughter looked after hearing the words chocolate and toothpaste; these two are not a good combination. Haha! Anyway, it’s a good thing that these flavored toothpaste make it easier for us to ask kids to brush their teeth.

    Calandra Novak

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that’s good with flavored toothpaste is that it encourages kids to be excited and motivated to take care of their teeth. Children's lack of enthusiasm in brushing their teeth is one of the main reasons why they develop dental problems.

    Jamie DeFinnis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I was facing the same issue as my kids also miss brushing often. But now i got a very good and attractive toothpaste.Kids can get toothpaste like Colgate Pokemon* Bubble Fruit, Orange and Strawberry.
    Now my kids never miss brushing and they do it twice in a day. You also can use Colgate toothpaste for kids.

    ReplyDelete