Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, from me to you!

Being a mother, has so many special qualities. Every time, I see my daughter sleep next to me in her tutu and ballet slippers, or when she comes up to me and asks me a very intelligent question, I get this warm fuzzy feeling that is indescribable. First off, I can't even fathom how she came out of me. Now she is a blossoming little flower that is growing everyday and gets more beautiful, everytime I see her. Being pregnant again, I share these moments with my unborn baby as well. Every time she nudges at me, or kicks me in my ribcage, I get overjoyed, knowing that this little being is growing inside me, and learning about the world through what she hears and feels inside the womb.

A lot of times, we may take parenthood for granted, and see it as a "right." For me, I feel that if we are given the chance at being a parent, whether its through our own biological child, or through adoption, it's a true privilege. There are no replicas of our children and they are very special, to each and every one of us.

For the last two mother's day, my daughter did not know what Mother's Day was. I am assuming that she saw it as another day we would go to the hotel, to have brunch with her grandmother and her mom, while her dad was working hard to make sure that everyone was being accomodated. This year, she made me a special art project, at her preschool. It was a picture of her on a magnet, with the words, "Happy Mother's Day." It was the best gift ever. Everytime I see it on our refrigerator, it reminds me of how special I am, and how lucky I am to be a mother.

For all the mothers out there, I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day! Always know that, regardless of our rough days and or heartaches, at the end of the day, we are left with being that one special mother to our kids.

"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever." -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment