Friday, May 29, 2009

The biggest scare of my life

Yes, I broke my elbow, sprained my ankle, dislocated my knee, and got into near death, car accidents. However, the scariest day of my life was when my daughter got a second degree burn on her chest. She was 2 months shy of being 2 years old. That particular day, I had made my hot green tea and left it on top of the counter, far away from where she could reach it. When I returned, she climbed up a chair and grabbed the cup. The second I said, "Nooooo," she immediately dropped all the hot water onto her chest. She was in shock, and I was in mortified shock. Being a new mother, I didn't know what to do. I just panicked and looked around for help. Of course, no one was around, and I had to figure things out. I started calling everyone, but no one answered. So then I went online to look for help, but everything was a big blur. My daughter was in a state of shock, so I tried to calm her down. I got a cold wet towel to put over the area. At first, her chest was red, then it progressed to a purple, and then her skin started to peel. I could see raw skin underneath. I immediately called my husband and he rushed over.

We took her to the ER and waited nearly 3 hours before they saw us. By the time it was our turn, the peeling of the skin got worse. When the doctor came over, she literally put an ointment on the chest and stuck a bandaid on top of it. She didn't even take the time to clean off the wounded area. She suggested that we stay away from touching the area and as it starts healing, to put sunscreen on it. I stared at her in awe, and was pretty pis*ed. I couldn't believe how they took care of the situation, like it was nothing. I just felt like we could have done a better job, by staying home.

After that happened, I told myself that I would have ointments, or healing creams readily available in my first aid kit. Just in case it happens again. Although, I pray it doesn't. But as parents, we always have to be prepared. I try to buy everything holistic, homeopathic, or natural when it comes to skin, medication, etc. I went through a couple products that were effective, but I wasn't sure if they were good enough for the "ER" moments. I did some research and came across Thera Wise, a company that makes Natural Bio Active Therapeutic Ointments. Having gone through the scare with my daughter, I was immediately drawn to their Bio Active Skin Healing Ointment, "SHO." It aids in wound healing, reduces skin irritation and inflammation, and has antibacterial properties. It's the natural alternative to corticosteroids, anti-itch and antibacterial ointment. If you look at their ingredient list, it's all very natural. For me, that is very important.

Since a year had passed with my daughter's accident, I didn't try the ointment on her. However, my husband is a chef, and he always comes home with burns, skin irritations, and cuts, so I knew I could test it on my husband. The other day, he came home with a huge cut, so I thought it was perfect timing. I was excited to put the SHO ointment to the test. My husband couldn't understand why I was so excited about his painful cut. I immediately took the ointment, out of the box, and put it on his cut. It went on smoothly and did not have any strong odor. I put it on again, once before he went to bed, and once when he woke up. When he came home that evening, the cut, was enclosed and healing. The ointment works! It will definitely go into my first aid kit. But I see the highly likelihood that my husband will be carrying it, in his back pocket.

Thera Wise carries three other ointments: HmR (Hemorrhoidal Ointment), VpR (Vaporizing Decongestant Rub), and Ac+ (Acne Ointment). For more information on their products, please go to: www.therawise.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment